Tuesday, December 1, 2009

R. Kelly's "Untitled"



R. Kelly has maintained a questionable lifestyle since he's been in the limelight, but he's also produced some awesome music. From his own albums to songs for Marques Houston and Trey Songz, R. Kelly has been consistently contributing great music to the industry. The tradition is continued with recent album, “Untitled,” which was released, today. Because of who he is, I’ve gone through the new album and reviewed each track. I’m satisfied with my purchase. About half of the songs could be skipped. I know that that’s a lot, but the remaining songs make the album worth having.

Crazy Night – Is this weird song that sounds like the inter-genre offspring of Ron Browz’s “Pop Champagne” and “Oh What a Night,” the 1963 hit song by Four Seasons. It’s like eating ice cream and drinking a Coca-cola for a meal, just a bit unsettling to the stomach. The inclusion of R. City’s reggae flavor eases the weird feeling though. I guess we could call him the Pepto Bismol of this track. R. City salvages a little bit of the song, but I still say, “Skip it.”

Exit – Offers the piano-based writing that we are accustomed to hearing from Kel, every now and then. It has those limited but hard-hitting cords similar to an abbreviated bar from the composition of Tupac’s “I Ain’t Mad At Ya.” The empty spaces in the song are filled with a keyboard’s version of a string section, and it’s all sewn together by the rhythm of soft high hats and the rim of a snare. It’ll make you bob your head.

Echo – This is a sexy song. It’s not overridden with music. The song begins with Kel singing about skipping out on your daily routine for “sex in the morning, sex all day,” over nothing but the sound of strings, a heartbeat-like tom-tom drum, and the nicely-spaced ringing from one of those bells that you find on counters of mom and pop businesses. The hook introduces my favorite component of the instrumental, the sound of what appears to be an acoustic bass, upright bass, or the heaviest strings of a very large harp, which work nicely with his singing about his anxious anticipation of an all-day encounter and his yodeling (literally!). The song continues in like fashion until the vamp, when a rich harmony kicks in. The song is worth listening to, and is almost on that “12-play” level, but not quite.

Banging on the Headboard – I’m personally tired of hearing about artists singing about headboards. Have sex on the couch or something, so that we can sing about something else. However, if I had to choose a song about banging headboards, it would be this one. This is the R. Kelly that I like to hear. All that built-up sexual energy oozes all over claps, bells, and some warped instrument that sounds like someone playing a saw. I can also appreciate the aesthetic repetition in the “banging, banging, banging, banging the headboard” chorus.

Go Low – All I have to say is “Go Low.” This is the hottest track on the CD. It’ll make you want to get it. The song is so smooth that you’ll hear but not be slowed by the occasional crazy references to things like “biscuits,” and how he equates the experience to everything from basketball to a buffet.

Whole Lotta Kisses – Sounds like it was written for Kelly’s debut album “Born into the 90s.” It’s okay, but after its time in my opinion. It’s okay to skip it.

Like I Do – No comment…just skip it and act like it’s not even there.

Number One – It seems like this was released so far in advanced of the album that everyone should be familiar with this R. Kelly – Keri Hilson collaboration. It was hot when I first heard it but, thanks to V-103 and other Atlanta radio stations, now I’m so tired of hearing it. It does still make me bounce, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to it.

I Love the DJ – Kel, where did you get this track? Off of an old Madonna album? That’s what it sounds like. If you have a more eclectic taste that finds techno palatable or you still enjoy dusting off your old Madonna albums, you may dig this. As for me, I don’t like it at all, except for the detour from the accompaniment for the “slow it down” part of the song. Skip it.

Supaman High – The little part where he says “I’m superman high, duh duh duuuh,” like trumpets are announcing his arrival into the realm of highness, is funny, but the combination of the strange music and OJ’s yelping like a Chihuahua earns this song a “skip it” rating.

Be My #2 – I love it! It’s like the return of Jamiroquai with the upbeat bass line and the brass. I think the message is silly though. Imagine a candlelit room and a man getting down on a knee and asking you to be his #2. I’m still digging this though. I believe the skaters will be feeling this too.

Text Me – Boring…skip it!

Religious – Boring…skip it!

Elsewhere – Boring skip it!

Pregnant – WTH…The music is nice. It starts beautifully but then Kel goes and taints it with these ridiculous lyrics. I’m not even going to give any words from the verse, but the chorus says, “I’m trying to get you pregnant,” with “knock you up” being chanted in the background. Skip it.
Ultimately, I think that Kel's CD is worth the buy, but listen for yourself and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment