Monday, November 16, 2009

Cornbread, Fish, and Collard Greens


Ledisi’s new album, entitled “Turn Me Loose,” stirs something up in a brother. I didn’t care too much for the crust, the first track or the last, but the meat of it was on point. “Everything Changes” is like an R&B version of Common’s “I Used to Love Her.” It personifies music and the instrumental is thick with all of the elements of good music to help further accentuate the idea that something has been lost in music that needs to be recovered. I only wish that the brass section was real, instead of that synthesized stuff, but I still dig the concept. From there, Ledisi goes straight to the Delta, with that upbeat bluesy sound that’ll remind you of Bobby Rush (the musician, not the politician)--if you don’t know who he is, YouTube him and diversify your portfolio. I actually had to check her bio to confirm her roots because “Turn Me Loose” sounded like it was on a diet of Mississippi farm-raised catfish. Switching gears, she sprinkles in some of the sexiest and feminine tracks that I’ve heard in minute with “Alone” and “Please Stay.” “Love Never Changes” is wonderful. It has that bouncy bass line that you could easily imagine Tina Turner shrugging her shoulders and tapping her feet to. It falls into that category that I call “Porch Music,” that stuff that old people, in rural towns, sit on the porch and nod to. The album is like a soul food buffet. I couldn’t get jiggy with every track, but the ones that I could had me licking my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment